How This Versatile Oil Soothes, Protects, & Softens
Read Time: 2-3 Minutes
Soothing, moisturizing, and protective, Cucumber Seed Oil provides numerous skin care benefits. Likely originating in India around 3,000 years ago before spreading to China, cucumbers have been used for centuries as a healing and soothing skin care ingredient. Growing up in Japan, MUN’s founder, Munemi Imai, remembers her mother placing slices of the fruit on her face as a natural beauty remedy.
Rich in linoleic acid, Vitamin E, and other nutrients, Cucumber Seed Oil is precious, and an excellent anti-ager, keeping the skin’s protective barrier strong and improving firmness and elasticity. Both antibacterial and anti-inflammatory, this versatile oil diminishes signs of aging while promoting cell regeneration. In our latest “Ingredient Spotlight,” we delve into this superstar skin care ingredient. Let’s get started:
How is Cucumber Seed Oil derived?
To obtain the oil, cucumber seeds must be removed from the cucumber plant before being cleaned and dried; then, the oil is derived through a cold-press process and filtered to produce the pure Cucumber Seed Oil —a clear yellow solution with a fresh, mild aroma.
What is in Cucumber Seed Oil that makes it so beneficial for the skin?
- Tocopherols and Tocotrienols — Cucumber Seed Oil is rich in tocopherols and tocotrienols—organic, fat-soluble compounds that are often collectively referred to as “Vitamin E.” Reducing inflammation and soothing the skin, these compounds help keep our complexions supple and healthy. Cucumber Seed Oil contains moisturizing alpha-tocopherol and gamma (γ) tocopherol, both of which helps protect against UV rays and environmental pollution while fighting free radicals that lead to wrinkles and signs of aging. This makes for a great after-sun remedy too, relieving redness and itchiness. The oil also contains gamma (γ) tocotrienol, which has excellent antioxidant properties. Rapidly penetrating the skin, gamma-tocotrienols fight free radicals at a much faster rate than tocopherols.
- Phytosterols — Naturally occurring cholesterol-like compounds found in plants (common food sources include vegetable oil, beans, and nuts), topical application of phytosterols provides great anti-aging benefits. Studies have shown that these powerful compounds actually stop the slowdown of collagen production that results from UV exposure, thereby preventing photodamage. But it gets even better—phytosterols also help promote the production of new collagen, helping to keep our skin elastic and firm.
- Fatty Acids — By stimulating cell regeneration, fatty acids help keep our skin looking youthful and healthy. Fatty acids act as gatekeepers for our cells, keeping in nutrients and keeping out harmful bacteria. Cucumber Seed Oil contains the following types of fatty acids:
- Linoleic Acid (Omega-6) — An essential fatty acid (EFA)—which means it’s vital for human health but isn’t produced naturally in the body—linoleic acid fortifies the skin’s barrier, thereby protecting us from UV damage and pollution that can cause free radical activity. Sometimes referred to as Vitamin F, linoleic acid has moisturizing and healing properties, and its anti-inflammatory qualities help diminish acne.
- Oleic Acid — Oleic fatty acid seals in moisture and allows our skin to retain the water it needs to stay hydrated and healthy.
- Palmitic Acid — This type of fatty acid can alleviate irritation, as well as various skin conditions such as dermatitis and eczema. High in antioxidant activity, palmitic acid is an effective anti-ager, diminishing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
Aside from these fatty acids, Cucumber Seed Oil also contains smaller amounts of Linolenic Acid (Omega-3 Essential Fatty Acid) and Stearic Acid.
So, what can I expect using Cucumber Seed Oil on my skin?
- A diminished appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
- Soothed and reduced acne
- Reduced redness and irritation
- Alleviation from sunburn
- Increased firmness and elasticity
- Lightened sunspots
To incorporate Cucumber Seed Oil into your beauty routine, try our Ayour Body Toning Serum. Working in tandem with luxurious Virgin Extra Olive Oil, Cucumber Seed Oil reduces the signs of aging while brightening and evening out skin tone. This powerful but gentle serum also contains Rosehip Seed Oil and Prickly Pear Seed Oil, which minimize the appearance of stretch marks and wrinkles, as well as fragrant Lavender, Neroli and Frankincense essential oils to soften and soothe.