How Rosewater Hydrates & Soothes for Radiant, Glowing Skin
Read Time: 1-2 Minutes
Soothing, luxurious, and fragrant, Rosewater has been used for centuries to promote balanced, luminous skin. With anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties, it relieves irritation while softening and hydrating the skin. Below,
we highlight the numerous skin care benefits of Rosewater.
How is Rosewater obtained?
To obtain Rosewater, rose petals undergo a steam distillation process first developed in Iran; the petals are steeped in water to extract the precious liquid. This liquid, Rosewater, is the hydrosol portion of the distillate of rose petals, which essentially just means that Rosewater is the liquid, herbal distillation of the flower petals. The other portion of the distillation process is rose essential oil, which is often used in perfumes and other beauty and cosmetic products.
How does Rosewater benefit the skin?
- Increases radiance — Packed with Vitamin E, a major player in skin care products thanks to its moisturizing, anti-aging, and protective properties, Rosewater helps keep skin healthy and radiant.
- Smooths and softens skin — Refreshing and anti-inflammatory, Rosewater helps even out skin texture and relieve irritation.
- Reduces acne — Rosewater is high in Polyphenols — phytonutrients (nutrients found in plants) with high antioxidant activity. Polyphenols are high in antibacterial properties, making Rosewater an ideal option for acne-prone or oily skin.
- Minimizes signs of aging — Rosewater is also effective in neutralizing free radicals that contribute to wrinkles and signs of aging. Studies have even shown that applying Vitamin E after exposure to smoke significantly reduces the resulting free radical activity. By aiding in the regeneration of skin cells, Rosewater keeps skin pliable and youthful.
- Refreshes and soothes — You know how rose petals have a velvety, soft feel? Rosewater is similarly soothing, making application relaxing and calming. When used for aromatherapy purposes, Rosewater has even been shown to relieve stress and boost mood.
- Relieves sunburn — As mentioned previously, Rosewater contains Vitamin E, which is often used in sunscreens and after-sun products, as it helps bolster the effectiveness of SPF. Some research shows that its anti-inflammatory qualities can help alleviate the effects of exposure and sunburn.
- Reduces redness — Extremely gentle and soothing, both the Polyphenols and Vitamin E in Rosewater are effective in reducing redness and evening out skin tone, thanks to their anti-inflammatory properties.
- Relieves inflammation — Thanks to its powerful anti-inflammatory properties, Rosewater is especially effective at alleviating irritation and skin conditions such as rosacea, eczema, and psoriasis. Extremely gentle, Rosewater is ideal for all skin types, even the most sensitive.
How can I incorporate Rosewater into my beauty routine?
Gentle enough for daily use, Rosewater is often used on its own to refresh the skin and provide relief from itchiness and irritation while its calming scent uplifts the senses. Many moisturizing and anti-aging products contain Rosewater; when looking for a formula, be sure to verify that no artificial ingredients which may irritate the skin have been added.
To incorporate Rosewater into your skin care routine, try our Anarose Hydrating Rose Toner. Made with the highest-quality Bulgarian Rosewater, this gentle toner effectively balances the skin’s pH. Also containing firming and hydrating Hyaluronic Acid, naturally exfoliating Willow Bark Extract, and anti-aging, free-radical-scavenging Goji Berry Extract, Anarose gently soothes the skin while prepping it for subsequent product use. Rose, jasmine and daisy extracts are also included for a soft, velvety finish.